Wednesday, April 23, 2008

See Me

Sommer and I just got back from seeing Ben Stein's new documentary movie "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed."




I just looked the movie up on imdb.com's site to see how others are rating the film. Looks like it's definately a love/hate relationship with current statistics of 26% love, 57% hate and the remaining 17% anywhere in between. Thank you, Mr. Stein, for putting yourself out there and attaching your name to something you believe in.

I didn't know much about what the term Intelligent Design truly meant before seeing this movie. I, too, thought that the term Intelligent Design was synonomous with Creationism. I would be willing to bet that most Christians believe there is a bias in our public education system in America to influence children to accept evolution as fact. But why? What would such a conspiracy acomplish? What is the end-game? I felt Ben Stein did a fantastic job at attempting to answer these questions.

I recently watched a video online in which Dinesh D'Souza and Christopher Hitchens debated the topic of "Is Christianity the Problem?" A line D'Souza used reminded me of something my brother-in-law mentioned to me a few years ago, "T, it seems that you hate BYU more than you love Utah." (And, I'll have to admit that he was probably right in the pre-Urban Meyer days.) D'Souza said that although he doesn't believe in unicorn's, he doesn't spend day after day disdaining them, antagonizing their believers and writing books to disprove their existence. So, why is it that the scientists who believe in evolution would rather spend their time disdaining, antogonizing and discrediting Intelligent Design?
Similar to the pompous preaching of the Global Warming crowd, Evolutionists want it to be taught in our public education system that, "The debate is over!" I feel the federal government uses it's heavy hand more and more to sway what is being taught to our children. As Ron Paul teaches, the federal government does not own our children. Yet we act as if it does by letting it decide when, how and what our children will learn. This is not to say that I believe it is Intelligent Design that should be taught solely in education just as I do not like the current system of teaching solely Evolutionism in the classroom.
During the conclusion of his documentary, Ben Stein describes the acedemic arena in which profossors are forced to operate. He states that these professors are free to teach however/whatever they may, as long as they stay on the correct side of the wall. The problem is that the rest of us are not even aware that the wall exists. Go see his movie and decide for your self if the wall is there.

No comments: